Post It Note Write the Room

Tuesday, January 19, 2016




My team and I have been brainstorming ways to build our students' skills in writing. After discussing, brainstorming, and researching, a lightbulb went off in my head. I love the idea of write the room activities, but I've never made or used one that I totally loved. It was always a lot of prep for a short activity that I didn't feel reached all of my students to strengthen their abilities. 

Here's where the lightbulb moment comes in.




I've been working lately on rubrics, rewards, incentive charts, and quote/notes that print on post it notes...... so why not write the room on sticky notes??? Obviously this got the ball rolling and then I created something that would last all week for EACH of my kids. 
On day 1: Students will find the printed sticky notes around the room and record their new vocabulary. Sticky notes make this activity super easy to prep! 
If you have limited space or would prefer your children to stay seated for the activity you could always use the pop-up writing center on day one. Also note, picture cards can be printed on cardstock if post its aren't your style.
Day 2-5: Teacher collects all the post its and posts them in the pop-up writing center. Here the students will use the words for more involved activities. This unit includes 4 prompts and there are multiple levels for each prompt sheet.  Unit also includes a free write sheet, alphabetizing, and mixup vocabulary. 
With starter sentence...
Without...
Students have new vocabulary right at their fingertips. Pictures match those on their sheet to help them brainstorm ideas that they could include in their writing. 
Also available in the INCLUDED pop-up writing center....
writing checklist
grade level appropriate sight words
letter sounds chart
blends chart and digraphs chart


I'm working on numerous themes! 

1 comment

Karen F. said...

I love how you could use it as a pop up center!! My classroom this year is so tiny, I would definitely be able to use something like this :-) Great job!!
Karen

Powered by Blogger.